Almond milk highlights, among other properties, ideal for stages of growth and adolescence through their calcium intake.
Almond milk benefit is obtained by grinding dried almonds, shelled and then mixing it with water. It can be taken alone or with some sweetener. The properties that we highlight here as well as nutritional information relates to make almond milk without any sweetener. It has a nice flavor, made with hot or cold water.
* A level cardiovascular benefit us when we have too much cholesterol or triglycerides.
* For those intolerant to cow’s milk or lactose, for whom the milk celiacs often not going too well and, in general, for those seeking a substitute for milk.
* In hospitals is especially useful for postoperative and the person needs food to nourish him but are easily digested. The almond nuts are rich in potassium, an ion essential for the body for its role in the brain, muscle, etc.. Ideal also to prevent undernutrition in these patients since it is also rich in fiber and remineralizing.
* Almond milk to be very low in sodium and rich in potassium is very suitable to cases where there is loss of potassium: diarrhea, vomiting, treatment with potassium-sparing diuretics. And for cases where the sodium is a problem: high blood pressure or in diseases where there is an increase of extracellular fluid (edema) such as cardiac, renal and liver cirrhosis.
* In many cases of food allergies substituting cow’s milk for some plants, such as almond milk, some people notice a big improvement.
* A level tract is helpful to us in cases of gastro-intestinal dyspepsia, gastritis and as a regulator of intestinal peristalsis.
* For its good calcium / phosphorus ratio, almond milk is an ideal food for various population groups, on the one hand, during the stages of growth and adolescence, where both nutrients play a role in bone formation and remodeling and on the other hand, pregnant women or during lactation, it could cover part of the mineral requirements, and elderly, where a diet rich in calcium is an important preventive measure against developing osteoporosis.
* Has a high percentage of soluble and insoluble fiber thus: protects the intestinal wall, especially at the colon and regulates the rate of absorption of sugars and cholesterol. Fiber in the presence of the glucose uptake rate may decrease by up to 50%, and this fact is the basis for clinical use in the treatment of insulin-dependent diabetes type I and type II (non-insulin-dependent)
Nutritional Information almond milk (per 100 g powder)
* The amount of protein (11 to 13 g.) makes it ideal to supplement and complement the sometimes animal protein.
Although almond proteins not reach the quality of the proteins considered noble (milk and egg) have an essential amino acid composition very balanced.
Almond milk is very suitable for both children and elderly populations that frequently consume foods with high caloric value but contribute small proportions of amino acids.
* Lipids (9.5 to 11.5 g.), the almond is rich in linoleic acid is a precursor of arachidonic acid and thus of the different series of eicosanoids, so important in the balance both in tissues and in organs. Deficiency causes growth retardation, skin diseases and nervous disorders.
Almond milk also provides much oleic acid, which is most appropriate for the maintenance of an adequate ratio of HDL and LDL.
According to a study by the American nutritionist Gary Fraser, of a population of 34,000 people subject to a vegetarian diet low in fat, concluded that people who ate more nuts, suffered less heart disease.
* Dietary fiber (4.8 g), 85.7% insoluble fiber and soluble fiber 14.3%.
* Minerals Calcium 200 mg Phosphorus 220 mg, 200 mg Potassium, Magnesium 60 mg Iron 5 mg, Sodium 38 mg.
* Vitamins Vit. A 210 U.I., Vit. E 15.1 mg, Vit. B1 57 mg, Vit. B2 153 mg.
* Carbohydrates 60 to 62 g.
* Energy value 1680 kJ (397.5 kcal.)
* Energy value / cell 84.5 Kcal.
Did you know that almond milk …?
Dr. Gene Spiller of the Health & Research Studies Center, Los Altos, California, showed that consumption of almond milk reduces blood cholesterol double the olive oil.
Nuts are with spinach, chickpeas and lentils, food that contains more iron and magnesium in the plant kingdom.